Yesterday we posted resolutions for those looking to buy a home, but maybe you already are a homeowner and you want some resolutions that will help you make the most out of your homeownership experience. Don't worry we've got you covered here are five resolutions to make 2018 your best year as a home owner yet!
- Make Larger Payments: So you already made the leap into buying a home, maybe it was last year or many years prior but now you can really take control of that home and start to make dents into the loan. Any additional payments, in excess of your normal monthly mortgage payment, will make a big difference in your loan over time. You do not need to make these extra payments monthly, go with as you financially can, but a few extra hundred dollars put towards your mortgage loan this year can save you thousands in interest over the course of the loans lifetime. Create a spreadsheet to track your monthly spending so you can really see where your money is going each month and find ways to shave off some spending in certain areas like that daily coffee run or weekend take out. All that money you save you can put towards an extra big mortgage payment that could help to shorten the loan term or save you in interest costs.
- Consider Refinancing: Whether you have owned your home for 6 months or 6 years refinancing your mortgage could be a great option to make 2018 your best financial year ever. Refinancing a mortgage loan can help to lower your monthly mortgage payments or even shorten the loans terms. To really make a massive impact on your finances this year try making larger payments for the first half of 2018 on your mortgage and then in the second half of the year plan to refinance the mortgage loan. You will really see the savings pile up then!
- Review Your Homeowner's Insurance: Even though it is much easier to let your insurance rollover year to year so that you don't have to worry about review insurance documents, you may be missing out on great savings. Take some time in 2018 to review your current homeowner's insurance plan and to shop around a bit. You may already have the best deal out there but you won't know that until you do a little research first. That time spent could mean major extra bucks in your wallet this year.
- Clean Out the Clutter: Though some people wait until spring to clean out and organize their homes, why wait!? There's no better way to start a year off than in a freshly cleaned home. Studies have shown that having clutter around will decrease your productivity. Studies have also shown that clutter can lead to anxiety and stress, making it difficult to relax and enjoy your home. So make the most of this year by sorting out the things you don't need or use anymore. You've invested so much financially and personally into your home, it should be a place that promotes productivity and relaxation.
- Be Pre-cautious: The start of a new year is the perfect time to review the condition of your property. Make sure your home is safe inside and out so that you and your family can enjoy 2018 to the fullest. Check your foundation for any holes or cracks so that you can address the problem before it escalates. Do the same for your roof. Inside, check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Create an annual home maintenance checklist of normal routine things that should be tested or checked. This list could include things like checking the status and condition of the furnace, evaluating the insulation of the water pipers or inspecting the central air conditioning unit. Throughout the year you can refer to this list so you stay on top of your home's overall condition. It will help you minimize the element of surprise and the overall cost of emergency repair bills.
*article information taken from: New Year's Resolutions for Homeowners